2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Ruger exposes itself....LCRx

Well......MEH!!


Ruger recently announced that it would be releasing its popular polymer small framed revolver, the LCR, with an exposed hammer and will call it the LCRx ("x" as in exposed and not extreme I assume!).  Personally, I don't get it.  The entire LC? line was marketed around dedicated use of the weapon for CCW.  All of them have incorporated long, double action trigger pulls as a safety precaution to carrying in ones pocket.   I have owned most of them at one time or another and they are all fine pistols.  Matter of fact the LCR in .38+P is my go to daily carry these days and I have no complaint.

But this one, I don't get.

The LCR was designed from the ground up for CCW applications.  This we know.  The polymer chasis was designed to keep the weight low and allow for easy of carry and also provided and easy way to include a "melted" finish to keep it as "snag free" as possible.   The exposed hammer kind of defeats the purpose of this handgun as designed in 2 ways as I see it:

  1. First, the exposed hammer presents an obstacle to work around for drawing the weapon from any type of concealment holster without a snag.  This has been a issue with snubbies for years and was the reason the concealed hammer was included on them in the first place.
  2. Secondly, and in my mind most importantly, the single action mode can help introduce bad habits in your training with this weapon.  The double action trigger on the LCR is very polished and smooth right out of the box due mostly to a unique cam action that Ruger patented for its use.  It makes shooting this weapon as a DAO revolver very easy...as it was intended to be.  In the "heat of battle" when you most likely will have to use a pistol like this, you won't be (or want to be) taking the extra time to manually cock the action to shoot.  In fact, smooth, double action shooting is what you should be training with on a pistol like this.

I would even go a step farther and fathom to say that legally this might also be a bad move.  There has been more than one suspect shot in custody while a weapon was cocked on single action and under the control of an excited and agitated trigger finger.  Somebody threatens you with a knife, you pull your LCRx out, they fall to the floor crying for mercy, you cock the weapon an point it at them and without realizing it....BANG!...thank you very light trigger!  Next thing you know a Pandora's Box of legal trouble is headed your way.

If you want a revolver to target shoot the center out of playing cards at 100 yards there are much better choices.  An all metal gun with target sights and a 6" barrel would be a more logical choice than this.

Sorry Ruger, this one I will pass on....meanwhile I am still happy as hell with what you have given me in the LCR itself.  Sometimes because you can doesn't mean you should.


2 comments:

fox579 said...

Options are nice. But personally, I like a flush hammer on a SA/DA snub nose. I used to have a Taurus 651 snubby (flush hammer .357). I eventually traded up to a S&W 638 Airweight (.38+P only, but nicer trigger). When shooting these revolvers (or, for that matter, any of my SA/DA revolvers) probably 99% of my rounds are fired double action. I agree with you that in a self defense situation, that's most likely how it would be used. However, I like the idea of being able to squeeze off round on SA if I want to. And with the flush hammer, it still won't snag when carried concealed. I'm a fan of Ruger revolvers, but I probably wouldn't be interested in the LCRX as a carry gun unless they came out with a flush hammer version.

Anonymous said...

I'm old school and a retired LEO. I trained with SA/DA revolvers for many years and I personally hate DA only. I love the option of having single action. I think Ruger was smart and listened to all the critics who complained that it was DA only. I saw lots of it on many forums. I actually bought a S&W Airweight because it has an exposed hammer and the LCR didn't. I always said that I would buy a LCR if Ruger made one with the exposed hammer. Well, I just ordered one from Davidsons. So...to each his own. Ruger has offered more options for their buyers. It's not like they have done away with the DA only...they just now have the same gun with a hammer...and the same great DA trigger pull. Win win in my book!