2nd Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Monday, December 17, 2012

Time for mourning?...or time for sensationalizing and villainization?

Watched CBS Morning news while getting dressed.  Charlie Rose had some guy on the news talking about the weaponry used in the Newtown shootings.  Of special note for some reason was the Glock 20 the shooter used, as it used "larger than normal shells" and "was only really used for hunting large game" (or something to that affect).  Apparently that is the pistol the shooter used to end his own life when police got on scene.   Larger than normal?  There are bullets both larger in weight and diameter than the 10mm (10x25mm actually, a .40 caliber round) carried by police in this country every day (10mm is .40/180gr vs the 200-230gr .45 ACP carried by many officers).  Should I also make mention that the round was developed in part for adoption by the FBI who liked it but passed because some officers could not handle the stout, but not unmanageable, recoil.   This isn't the first time I recall condemnation of the 10mm based solely on reputation.  I remember a court case in California I think where a hiker defended himself against an attacker on a trail with a 10mm and was convicted of manslaughter because the jury considered the 10mm "too powerful" for self defense?  Too powerful? WTF?  Tell you what, I want the most powerful round I can carry effectively to defend me, hell, let me know you are coming to attack me ahead of time and I will have a damn howitzer ready for you.

Back on topic, this type of sensationalism and villainization of guns is just the beginning.  If I knew it wasn't so damning to the 2nd Amendment it might also be kind of funny.  I mean, if I went on national TV and tried to give a comprehensive explanation about something like horses and tackle after just reading up on it on the internet for an hour I am sure equestrians across the country would have a heyday making fun of my demonstrated ignorance.   Instead, when it comes to guns, anybody and everybody is an expert it appears when they get on national TV.  If the other side wants to have any validity with their arguments against our rights it might be a good idea for them to start by having a clue what they are talking about first..."seek first to understand, then to be understood".

I  watched the President's speech last night at the service for the victims (it preempted the season finale of Survivor)...he danced all around gun control in his speech without actually saying it, but we know its coming. I will give him credit, he gave a fairly good speech about how we cannot stand to watch these events to happen again, its just he and I have vastly different ideas how this can be accomplished.  He obviously wants to enact strict control on the selling and possession of firearms in this country, I would seek to help facilitate better mental health care in this country, give money to schools to hire security guards full time (vets?) and crack down on ILLEGAL gun trafficking in this country.  

This will not be a pretty fight.  Matter of fact I fully expect an Executive Order to be the end of this, not legislation that he cannot hope to pass.  If he does press legislation it will be to parade the faces of 20 innocent children across the American landscape and proclaim that anybody that does not vote for his legislation is obviously in favor of more deaths like these 20 kids.  Its a no win situation in my darkest vision of the future.

Still funny for me to see God invoked so often by a POTUS whose own party did not even include him as part of their party platform at their convention on the first day, and also that the people most loudly calling for gun control to save the lives of children are also often the ones calling for individual rights to choose to abort these children while still in the womb without trial or cause.

1 comment:

ret redhat said...

Our Cleveland Ave advised a magazine supply issue already. Two hour wait yesterday. Used OSP Rem870 up from pre election prices